The Half Back Flanker season preview is broken up into four categories – Top of the Heap, Scraping In, Missing Out and Bottom of the Barrel. But rather than pretend that we know anything about footy, let’s look at what the ‘experts’ are saying and then, in 25 words or less, sum up the fortunes for each side this year.
So, without further ado…in descending order of potential suckiness:
CARLTON: This season will be one of learning and discovery…just how many different nicknames will Chris Judd earn in 2008?
The Herald Sun is leaning towards changing the club name to “Judd and Co.”;
- The AFL website go with a simple “Superstar Judd”;
But it seems Sportal haven’t come up with a nickname for Judd just yet – boring!
Half Back Flanker says: Won’t finish last but won’t make the finals…but it all depends on Juddy, the Juddster, Ol’ Judderoonie, the Juddmeister, King Judd, Mr Twigley, etc…
RICHMOND: The Tigers have been consistently mediocre for many years. If that is actually part of Terry Wallace’s five-year plan then most think he is on target again in 2008!
- The Age thinks they will suck;
- Sportal thinks they will suck;
- The Herald Sun really, really wishes they will suck;
- The AFL website may have removed their Richmond preview…perhaps they are not allowed to use the work ‘suck’!
Half Back Flanker says: The Herald-Sun have already prepared their headlines pushing for Kevin Sheedy to return to Tigerland and will not be afraid to use them!
WESTERN BULLDOGS: They fell in a heap last year and the off-field crew all hate each other…according to Libba. Is all not well at the Akermanis Retirement Village?
The AFL website think the Dogs could be anything…gee, thanks for that;
- The Age pundits are divided – one says Scraping In, the other says Missing Out;
- The Herald Sun are ready to blame off-field in-fighting just in case the Doggies fail;
- Sportal thinks they need a power forward…there’s plenty available now the NBL has finished – what about this guy?
MELBOURNE: They might have been in existence for 150 years but the Melbourne Football are proving one thing – experience counts for little these days…particularly when you suck. But don’t take our word for it…
- The Age thinks they will suck – but not as much as Richmond;
- Sportal thinks they will actually suck more than Richmond;
- The AFL website are so pessimistic, they possibly didn’t bother with a preview;
- The Herald Sun seem more interested in Russell Robertson’s singing career!
Half Back Flanker says: Melbourne will suck more than Richmond. Frankly, we are more interested in Robbo’s singing as well!