How much rope is enough?
Some awesome TV last night, huh! There were so many viewing options that it was difficult to decide what to watch. You had the fat-blasting exploits of The Biggest Loser, drama on the high seas with those salty dogs from Sea Patrol and don’t forget Border Security – because there is nothing better than a good body cavity search right around dinner time!
But it wasn’t just drama – there was plenty of comedy on show last night as well. That old favourite South Park, the mildly offensive Drawn Together and the highly offensive Power of 10! And then there was the TV event we have all been waiting for…the Melbourne International Comedy Festival gala! Some great comedians, a lot of laughs and no Steven Jacobs – perfect viewing!
But if you felt the need to grab the remote about an hour into the gala; maybe there was a commercial break or maybe Julia Morris was on; and flick over to the ABC…oh boy!
Andrew Denton’s warts-and-all interview with Wayne Carey on Enough Rope was a pretty grim affair. Not a lot of laughs to be had…even for the biggest of Carey detractors. But an absolute shite-load of people checked it out and just in case you missed the whole thing (please don’t say you were watching Dirty Sexy Money instead!), here is a full transcript! Warning: you might need a cup of tea or a comfy chair – it will take a while.
The media outlets are all over the story today and each finding a different controversial angle to highlight:
- The Age goes with the drugs;
- The Herald Sun focus on the booze and drug-fuelled incident at his apartment in January this year;
- The Australian found the Kelli Stevens affair, or more that it was not his fault they got caught, quite interesting!
The interview was definitely enlightening, particularly for those of us who had little idea about his upbringing and family life…even those people who knew him well would have learnt a thing or two! But it is still debatable just how truthful some of these admission were…and the suggestion of doing that cover story with New Idea for ‘no payment whatsoever’ is tough to believe. He would want to have been paid considering the negative impact it had…
So what now? Guess we wait for the next installment…coming soon to a courtroom near you.
In non-alcoholic news:
- Remember last year when Adam Goodes was charged, ineligible for the Brownlow but still played the next week? Well, this year he has been charged and suspended for one match…but can still win the Brownlow this year!
- Chris Judd may not be at his best until August…just when Carlton are usually at their worst…
- Melbourne the biggest outsiders ever…and the margin of defeat appears to be the only thing of interest about this match;
- Not that Leigh Matthews gives a shit about your stupid football betting anyway!
- The Essendon influence at Fremantle is adding an extra edge to the Western Derby…could we see some purple jacket waving this weekend? Well, the Dockers would have to win a game for that to happen…