“I love you, man” “No, man – I love you!” “You’re the best” “No, you’re the best!”
It is a special time for Geelong. The premiership drought has been broken and the club have won the first five games of 2008, including yesterday’s win over a thugless Sydney. Talk is building already that this team could go through the season undefeated and most other sides probably think they are untouchable! But within the Geelong team itself, it seems that there are few limits when it comes to touching…
Check out Cam Mooney and Matthew Stokes yesterday! In the final minutes, and with the result well decided, these two produced a couple of the most unashamed displays of man-love we’ve seen on an AFL field in ages. The first hug was quite affectionate and lingered for a looooong time while the second one…ever heard of the expression ‘get a room?’ And you thought they were a happy team at Hawthorn!
If there is any player at Geelong who deserves a little love and affection, it’s Gary Ablett Jr. He killed them in the final quarter and with that receding hairline and new beard, he is looking more and more like Fraser Gehrig every day. What’s not to love about that?
But let’s face it – the Cats are so hot right now that Cameron Ling could walk down the streets of Geelong and have the pick of any girl he wanted! Geelong – putting the ‘F’ in the AFL!!!
One at a time, ladies – one at a time!
But Geelong is not the only football club where there is plenty of love going on – check out yesterday’s other matches:
- Everybody loves Buddy! Lance Franklin kicks eight and the Hawks stay undefeated;
- All Adelaide fans, except for Lleyton Hewitt of course, have been in love with Andrew McLeod for over a decade and his final term secured a tight win over the loveless Dockers;
- With Alan Didak, much like his club, you either love him or love to hate him. Well, the haters were loving it when he missed the potential match-winning goal as the Pies blew a 21-point final quarter lead against the Kangaroos!
- Can Melbourne finally win a game? They have barely come close all season and if they don’t get one today…
- Melbourne midfielder Brock McLean is our choice for ‘most likely to do a Barry’ after going from captaincy material to kicked out of the leadership group in the space of nine months.
- If Brock is on his best behaviour today, our second pick for a brain snap would be Colin Sylvia…
- A laughing stock one week ago, Carlton looked poised to win two straight games – that is officially a winning streak. The Blues have some insider knowledge on Melbourne…like it would take that level of insight to see that the Demons are crap!
- The secret behind the rejuvenated Fevola – apart from being sober? All it took was a change of grip and plenty of practice…and looks likes it has helped his goal-kicking as well!
THE ‘WHOEVER TAGS AKER’ MATCH
Telstra Dome, Melbourne – 2:10pm (local): Western Bulldogs v Richmond (SEVEN)
- The Bulldogs looked set for five wins to start the year after knocking off the Bombers last week but now that Richmond actually won a game of note, maybe this will be a real contest.
- Neither side has a stand out candidate for a grand-scale mind explosion but we wouldn’t blame whichever Tiger has to man up on Jason Akermanis if they tried to knock that ratty beard clean off his bleached-blond head!
- Matthew Richardson played on a wing in Perth last week and slayed them. But that doesn’t mean he will line up there today…or does it? Oooh, the intrigue…
- It has been revealed that electro-stimulation may have been the secret to Richmond’s performance last week – we suggest they keep Mark Couglan well clear of that equipment – knowing his luck!
THE ‘BEAU WATERS’ MATCH
You’re a bad man, Barry – a bad, bad man!
Subiaco, Perth – 2:40pm (local): West Coast v Port Adelaide (FOX)
- It wasn’t all that long ago that West Coast and Port Adelaide were kick-ass…what happened?
The Eagles say it is just poor form and not something called ‘culture fatigue’…which sounds like they are losing games because they are steering clear of drugs and drunken rampages atop of car bonnets!
- Who knows what happened to Port that caused them to give up that massive lead against the Lions…but the locals were far from happy, as you could imagine.
- Despite not wining a game this year, the Power are favoured to beat the Eagles in Perth…hmmm, okay.
Here’s hoping that Beau Waters keeps flying the flag for the Eagles after the rest of his teammates were more worried about being fined after Barry Hall decked Brent Staker.