The best played against the best…now it’s back to play with the rest.
Last Saturday night, the best AFL players in the whole world gathered together to take part in the Hall of Fame Tribute match. There were no feral opposition fans, no mindless booing and no petty hatred – just plenty of love for all players from the 70,000 fans who packed the MCG to celebrate this great game. The event was such a love-in that supporters who hate everything that Carlton stands for were even cheering like crazy for Brendan Fevola!
But now, the superstars return to the regular, boring old AFL regular season. Fev will go back to being bagged mercilessly by rival club fans about his colourful past and penchant for a drunken outdoor wee. Lance Franklin…well, it won’t matter because everybody loves Buddy! But Jono Brown loved his stint as Victorian captain…will it feel the same this week running out in Queensland maroon?
Will these two boys ever get to cuddle in public again?
But this weekend of footy could be quite a deflating experience for those players who received the rock star treatment last weekend…a bit like your first week back at work after a fortnight’s holiday in Fiji! So welcome to round eight – The Great Letdown!
- Josh Fraser’s absence is countered by the return of a Rocca while St Kilda have the obligatory three or four injury replacements.
- Gary Ablett is back for Geelong while Joel Bowden finally gets a run for Richmond;
- Brown, Black, Johnstone, Drummond and Roe…a few handy inclusions for Brisbane!
- The Ryan Davis era to kick off at West Coast;
- Essendon add half a team’s worth of players but they all have human knees…not like Swans medical guinea pig Nick Malceski! Will he really play?
TIPS FOR THE GREAT LETDOWN
SAINTS by 20: Honestly, we like Collingwood in this one but we are tipping St Kilda…just to piss Grant Thomas off!
HAWKS by 1: Two exciting teams, two short and angry coaches…match of the round with a cliffhanger ending!
CATS by 38: The Tigers could have three Richos running around tomorrow and it wouldn’t make a difference!
LIONS by 9: Brisbane should win a tight one…unless Browny gets concussed, forgets what week it is and teams up with Fev in the forward line again!
ROOS by 15: Yeah, the locals will be amped for this game…
CROWS by 35: The Demons might have scored a nice win two weeks ago but Adelaide at home is a different kettle of fish than a fragile Freo team away.
SWANS by 51: The experienced Swans should have no trouble against ‘The Kids’…formerly known as Essendon Football Club!
DOCKERS by 16: Freo only seem to give a shit when everybody else in the football world has given up on them. Expect them to win this game, think they are hot stuff again and then suck for the next month!
The guy was sacked 18 months ago…but will St Kilda ever see the back of Grant Thomas?
Telstra Dome, Melbourne – 7:40pm (local): St Kilda v Collingwood (SEVEN)
- It will be a great letdown for Magpie fans if ruckman Josh Fraser does not play after nearly doing the big knee playing for the Big V!
- Apparently, Fraser needs to play or the Pies are in some serious doo-doo…
- Some guy called O’Bree (or something like that) is quite happy keeping a low profile at Collingwood…mission accomplished!
- The Saints will have no Steven Baker this week, no Nick Riewoldt for a while and no Matt Maguire for ages. But at least their ruckman might all be fit at the same time!
- Only at St Kilda could a player actually be relieved to lose a finals game…huh?
- Win, lose or draw, you can bet that Grant Thomas will have plenty to say about St Kilda’s performance this week…unless he receives a bundle of unmarked bills in a brown paper bag! But even then, we doubt he could help himself…