“Doesn’t look that worried about the loss, Fev. I don’t like the look of that. Don’t like it at all. You haven’t done much. Haven’t helped the side. You’ve had the loss. That guy there (Chris Judd) has busted his guts. And you are hugging the opposition. Oh well.”
That’s not Half Back Flanker bagging out Carlton full forward Brendan Fevola…we would be far more succinct with a few cuss words thrown in for good measure. Those statements belong to Channel Seven commentator Nathan Buckley, who was clearly unimpressed with the body language emanating from the Fev after St Kilda’s vital win over the Blues last night.
The Saints needed to win this ‘eight point’ game in order to have some control over their finals destiny and they did just that in front of a good crowd at the MCG, not the Docklands as the ABC reported…though they did manage a decent crowd at the Dome as well! Those Catholics sure have a loyal fan base…wonder if they will all get on board with the Sydney Celtics in 2011?
Having won the ‘eight-pointer’, St Kilda sit one win and percentage above Carlton in eighth spot. The Blues still think they are a shot at September but not on last night’s showing…plus they have the Doggies, Hawks and away games in Brisbane and Adelaide to come. Umm…nah!
But quickly back to Fevola – maybe he thinks that slapping your opponent around the head unnecessarily a few times is the type of action that warrants a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract. But nobody at Carlton or Sydney or anywhere else he is supposedly wanted, would agreee with him…unless he has the same agent as Andrew Bogut!
But with Carlton playing Sydney next Sunday – perhaps the winner can have the four points and the loser can overpay Fev for three years of occassional joy and chronic frustration! Sounds fair.
Here is a look ahead at the remaining games for The Eight Point Game round:
With eight points on the line, expect to see a fast-paced contest between these two teams this afternoon!
MCG, Melbourne – 2:10pm (local): Collingwood v Adelaide (FOX)
- How Many Points Is This Game Worth? Big game! Fifth verses sixth, level on points and both chasing the Swans who sit six points ahead on the ladder …the loser can probably kiss a top four finish goodbye. And because it is so rare to win it all from outside the top four, flag hopes could be dashed for one of these clubs today. EIGHT POINTS!
- After beating up on the Swans, Collingwood are aiming for the top four…and a potential first round match against Geelong. How cool would that be!!!
- Is this the Magpies or the Sopranos…because uncle Tony is getting into trouble again!
- Adelaide are fired up about facing the Pies but then again, they said the same thing about the Geelong game…and guess how that turned out!
- But to have any hope of victory, the Crows need to find a high-scoring forward to spark them in attack. Wonder what Tony Modra is up to…
- It’s round 15…did it really take this long for a sub-editor to break out the ‘Bock and a hard place’ headline pun?
Don’t the Cats fans love beating Freo! Might be a bit cold for it though…
Skilled Stadium, Geelong – 2:10pm (local): Geelong v Fremantle (TEN)
- How Many Points Is This Game Worth? Win or lose, the Cats are either finishing first or second and looking the team to beat in September. Even if Freo caused a major upset, they would still suck for the next month. Barely worth playing at all. ONE POINT!
- To the surprise of no one, Nathan Ablett is back at Geelong and on the training track. But he’s not going to play – it is all in preparation for 2009…honest!
- What the hell is wrong with Anthony Hudson? Bomber Thompson wins Geelong’s first flag since before Huddo was alive…and only now can he bring himself to thank him?
- Fremantle are now looking at this year as ‘short term pain for long term gain’…well, apart from two finals appearances, they have had a lot of pain since 1995. Any chance of some gain before the year 2025?
- The bell has tolled, or rung, or whatever bell-like sound you can think of, on the playing career of veteran Peter Bell. But he will probably stay involved in footy at the Dockers…or is it the Eagles?
Sorry Bomber fans…you won’t see Hirdy in red and black or fluoro yellow any time soon!
Telstra Dome, Melbourne – 7:10pm (local): Essendon v Brisbane (TEN)
- How Many Points Is This Game Worth? Essendon won’t win enough games for finals but have won too many for a priority draft pick – so it’s more about team development for them. But the result is critical for Brisbane as they need to win on the road if they have any hope of catching the Swans in fourth spot. FIVE POINTS!
- Essendon will welcome back Henry Slattery – not only is he awake again but he’s straight back in the team and ready to play! Just in time to fill the space in front of Jono Brown…oh crap!
- Didn’t these guys retire a dozen or so times last year? Yep…but it seems that both Kevin Sheedy and James Hird can’t keep away from Windy Hill. Haven’t they got homes to go to?
- Leigh Matthews doesn’t have a problem with players diving for free kicks…well, the fans don’t necessarily agree with Leigh’s point of view!
- Now that Michael Voss has snubbed the new Gold Coast franchise (and who could blame him!) and heading west to coach at the Eagles – how cool would it be if Vossy came back to be the next coach of Brisbane in 2011 and smash the GC17 in the first Queensland derby!
Chances of a repeat of last year’s prelim final flogging? Hmm, not great.
- How Many Points Is This Game Worth? The Power have been out of the running for a few weeks but North are only half a game out of the eight…though they will still be outside if they win. But there has been no mention of the mythical ‘Shinboner Spirit’ this week, so the Roos can’t be playing a mythical ‘eight-pointer’! FOUR POINTS!
- There has been no ‘home sweet home’ for Port Adelaide as AAMI Stadium has not treated them well this year…maybe that’s why they are looking elsewhere for some Carr insurance!
- Brett Ebert is about to sign a new deal at the Power…once it’s done, hopefully the media can get photos of him holding an oversized novelty check above his oversized novelty head!
- Despite injuries, Port still have a decent midfield so North Melbourne really do need to improve in this area if they hope to win. Yes, that appears to mean you, Daniel Harris!
- Dumped Roo Shannon Grant dusts off the old apology script and gives it another run. The guy is so close to playing 300 games and has the rest of his life to play up on corporate golf days…what the hell is he doing?
Will Spida Everitt take over as Sydney’s biggest nutjob with Barry Hall out?
- How Many Points Is This Game Worth? A Hawthorn win probably ensures they finish in the top three and play all their finals games in Melbourne. A Sydney loss would mean either the Pies or Crows are only half a game behind them in fourth. It’s still a big game but the real eight-pointers will be coming soon…for the Swans in particular! SIX POINTS!
- Brad Sewell will play for the Hawks after being in doubt due to having his appendix removed…you’d have thought that footy clubs would automatically rip them out of every rookie so this kind of thing doesn’t happen! How unprofessional…
- Buddy Franklin reveals that he is frustrated at the amount of attention he receives from the public…well, perhaps you could try being a little less awesome!
- How well prepared will Sydney be for this match? Paul Roos has been very busy this week disciplining Barry Hall and not meeting Brendan Fevola.
- Speaking of Barry, it seems he is a little confused as to why he lashed out last weekend…well, don’t ask any of us for clarification. We don’t understand what’s going on in your head either!
Things didn’t go so well for Melbourne the last time they faced the Dogs!
Telstra Dome, Melbourne – 2:10pm (local): Western Bulldogs v Melbourne (SEVEN)
- How Many Points Is This Game Worth? Not that many. We think it’s worth two so a Doggies win would make up for the draw with Richmond and could bring them level with either the Cats or Hawks in the later rounds. Two points would also be a nice incentive for Melbourne without endangering their chances of landing the best kid in the country at draft time. TWO POINTS!
- So, are the Doggies certainties to win? You can bet on it! We don’t gamble that much but you’d have to think that is money in the bank…
- Um, why does every little piece of shit that falls from the mouth of Jason Akermanis become a ‘story’? Shanghai…are you f*@$&#g kidding me?
- Melbourne are launching their ‘Debt Demolition’ this week as they attempt to save their club…fair to say it won’t be the only demolition involving the Dees this week!
- It has been a tough year for the Demons but they can at least take heart in the performances of their youngsters…but any time they play and one of their guys doesn’t almost die, it’s a bonus!
A few flying high shots would certainly help Richmond’s cause…
Subiaco, Perth – 2:40pm (local): West Coast v Richmond (FOX)
- How Many Points Is This Game Worth? Points are irrelevant to the Eagles at this stage but a win in the west would be an enormous boost for the Tigers who are stuck in 11th spot. But we will only give them three points and that gives them a better chance of just falling short of the finals in ninth spot…because that’s how Richmond works! THREE POINTS!
- Daniel Kerr has been named to play but is in doubt with ‘footballer’s knee‘. Is that the term you use when a footballer gets spiked in the knee by a stingray?
- Any more off-field shenanigans at the Eagles and Adam Selwood is outta there! Whether this is an overreaction is up for debate…and the master of overreaction is having his two cents worth!
- No Matthew Richardson for Richmond – which not only sucks for them but for any fantasy football owners who have Richo in their team…as vice captain…in a competition with no emergencies! D’oh!!!
- Terry Wallace believes that Graham Polak could well make a full recovery from his brain injuries. Ummm, nup – can’t take the piss out of this one! We hope that Polak does make a full recovery and plays for the Tigers again!