The script was written perfectly. Collingwood look like world beaters against power sides like Geelong and Sydney but always seem to trip up against teams they are supposed to beat. North Melbourne are seen as a battling club but always stand up when they are least expected to…So why on earth would anybody tip the Pies to win this one? With all these factors…why did WE tip them to win???
Sure enough, The Kangaroos kept things close in the first half before making their charge in the third quarter and produced the trademark ‘gritty’ win over the Pies. The victory keeps the Roos in the finals race and gave coach Dean Laidley a great opportunity to use the word ‘super’ a lot! Collingwood, on the other hand, have to deal with yet another sub-par performance in a game they should win. Mick Malthouse sensed it was going to happen…hasn’t quite figured out how to prevent it from happening yet.
They may have screwed up our tips but that picture…makes you smile, doesn’t it!
Here is a look ahead at today’s games for Dress Rehearsal round…chookas everyone!
Can Richmond make the finals this year…or is it all a big dress rehearsal for 2009? Or 2010? 2011?
MCG, Melbourne – 2:10pm (local): Richmond v Essendon (FOX)
- Terry Wallace has had what you might call an interrupted preparation to the game…but, to use another showbiz cliche, the show must go on!
- If the Tigers do get up today, it will all be thanks to Nathan Brown and his wacky, madcap antics!
- Dustin Fletcher says the Bombers are ready for the Richmond onslaught…good, because they were not quite ready last time!
- Mark McVeigh will miss the next five weeks thanks to an ongoing problem from that time he smashed James Hird’s face at Subiaco! Great to see Hirdy still having an influence at Windy Hill…
- The Bombers say that Andrew Lovett’s career is not in jeopardy despite another suspension due his nocturnal activities…but his social life might suffer a bit!
Take note Doggies: Port beat Geelong in a dress rehearsal at Skilled Stadium last season – didn’t mean jack-diddly come Grand Final day!
Skilled Stadium, Geelong – 2:10pm (local): Geelong v Western Bulldogs (TEN)
- Is Bomber Thompson fired up for this top-of-the-table clash and possible dress rehearsal for the grand final? Um…that would be ‘no’!
- Great news for their two injured midfielders – Cameron Ling is back in training already and Gary Ablett’s ankle has not been smashed into one million pieces!
- Not only have the Dogs been a little more fortunate on the injury front this week but they have made a a habit of playing opponents who are not at full strength. How lucky can you get?
- The Bulldogs feel that they are ready to take on the reigning champs…and they are certainly talking a good game!
- You wouldn’t have thought that the music of Simon and Garfunkel would provide motivation for footy players but that’s what Rodney Eade is going with!
John Worsfold should forget about these dress rehearsals and just cancel the rest of the season already!
GABBA, Brisbane – 7:10pm (local): Brisbane v West Coast (FOX)
- The Brisbane team would certainly be less colourful if Brown and Black were both missing…but it takes a lot for Browny to miss a game of footy.
- If Simon Black does miss, a player the calibre of Nigel Lappin would have been a handy replacement. If only the guy could stop falling apart!
- Daniel Kerr is prepared to have a no-play, no-pay clause in his next contract after his latest indiscretion. Though he doesn’t say which AFL team that contract will be for…
- This report from WA tries to makes us believe that sidelining experienced players at the risk of finishing on the bottom of the ladder is some sort of dilemma for the Eagles…bullshit! It’s not a dilemma finishing last these days, it’s a f#!@*$g reward!
No time for dress rehearsals at St Kilda…it’s virtuoso performance or bust!
- While Hawk fans will be hoping for a speedy recovery from Shane Crawford, very little happens at a fast rate when you get to his age…particularly in the mind.
- Yes, we don’t think that Buddy Franklin will ever have a problem with confidence either…he just can’t kick straight sometimes!
- Nick Riewoldt agrees that Buddy will have a few off days in front of goal…well, you don’t get much better qualified in that department than big Nick!
- Riewoldt also offered this golden nugget of information – if we play well, we might win…
- While St Kilda desperately need to win to keep in touch with the eight, they also desperately needed to get Grant Thomas out of their lives. At least one of these things have been sorted already…