Yep…everybody’s talking footy up here!
Well, Half Back Flanker tried valiantly to make it all the way to Beijing last week but it seems that buying tickets for the Olympics off the internet is fraught with danger. So instead of China, we found ourselves in Cairns! But we managed to enjoy all of the greatness of the Olympic Games in the warm conditions of Far North Queensland and with zero smog!
We also managed to enjoy a taste of round 19 action in the AFL…though the examples were far from inspiring. Only twice were we able to switch the TV to the footy; the first time was early Saturday morning for a replay of the Geelong v Melbourne game and the Dees were about to score their first point…the Cats were 61!!! The second time was a similar story (ie. sad…very sad) when the Tigers were being thumped by Adelaide at half time.
Given the choice of hanging at the beach or watching crap games of football, it was no contest. But Half Back Flanker will be back in unsunny Melbourne later this week to find out what the hell has been going on in the AFL! But for now,a quick glance at the other results from Hello China round:
- Brisbane’s finals hopes dashed by Buddy and the Hawks. We can tell you that from our time in Queensland, the locals are now getting a little nervous about Jono Brown holding out on signing a new deal to stay north.
- Carlton in the finals? Not so crazy any more…they are right in the hunt after beating Port Adelaide!
- Collingwood respond to a week of turmoil to beat St Kilda…which goes to show that good, bad or otherwise, they just loved to be talked about! But the result probably says more about the Saints…what is wrong with them?
- Sydney tried valiantly to screw up their top four hopes but eight goals from Adam Goodes gets them over the line against Freo.
- The Kangaroos are finals bound again as they took charge against the Western Bulldogs. Here comes the late season slumping Dog theory again!
- Those ‘slim finals hopes’ talk for Essendon can now stop…though honestly, it should have stopped at round ten! The Eagles win at home, proving that they are not the tanking kind!